Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hexie Redux ~ Take 2




Some history ~ I've been planning a trip to visit my parents and I wanted to bring along a little something for them to have in their home. I have not seen my mother since I began quilting at the start of the year, and seeing as she lives 3000 miles away, I thought that a quilt would be appropriate. My Mom is the driving force behind my sewing skills ~ were it not for her I would not be here today to blog about my sewing adventures. She is the most amazinging sewist ever! But, she doesn't quilt, so this one's for you Mom!

I chose this fabric (Martinique from Moda) ~ primarily because the colors are perfect for my parents home and include both my Mom and Dad's favorite colors. I think it will look lovely in their living room.


Originally, hexies were not part of this quilt plan at all. I wanted to use these pretty traditional quilt fabrics in a very modern way. I had been looking at simple shapes - squares outlined simply in a narrow solid frame and quilted in a modern parallel lines approach. Then a bolt of inspiration hit me (as they sometimes do) - why not add a spray of hexies to the squares just to mix it up a bit? I like to mix things up a lot actually, in case you haven't noticed. So there you have it, the idea behind the final design. Here's my sketch-up if you are interested in quilt process. Planning ~ next quilt

I used hexies of various sizes to lend a feel of movement to the design. I think the redux is perfect and modern and I am very happy with the end result.


I have also been converted into the quilt label camp ~ this newest quilt is the first to feature the Trillium label which I had printed over at Spoonflower.
After being a Spoonflower member since the earliest Beta days, I'm glad to have finally taken the plunge in printing my own fabric. Thanks to Julie (jaybird quilts) for some instructional info on how to get a quilt label ready for printing. The Spoonflower FAQ was very helpful in this regard as well.

The back ~


I hope Mom and Dad like this quilt as much as I do because they will be receiving it very soon.....

And with that, I should point out and the kids and I are now on vacation. We will be visiting Toronto for a week, so I'll be off blogland for awhile. See you in another week!


Happy Sewing!

10 comments:

Tracey Jacobsen said...

it's magical Caroline!

Wow.

lristaneo said...

A very cool use of hexies! That idea might even get me on the bandwagon! Love it!!

Unknown said...

Wow! I love the splash of hexies! How super cool! I am sure your parents are going to love it. (And great label too!)

PioneerValleyGirl said...

Have a good trip!


I really like your quilt design - the contrast of the regular squares and the hexies is so appealling

Manda said...

Wow thats amazing! I love the shape of the hexies! :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

That is an amazing use of hexies. I love the way they just float over the surface.

Jill said...

I love this! Very clever and artful. Your parents are sure to love it. I really like the label too, very sweet!

Oops-Lah said...

I love how you used the hexagons on your quilt; very inspired! It gives the quilt fluidity! I can't believe you have only quilted since the beginning of the year. Your mum and dad will love it!

lindsey said...

I have just come to your blog for the first time....I cant believe you have been quilting less thana year and have made this beautiful qiult, I love the splash of hexies! I have enjoyed looking through your posts and will be back again!

Bearpawquilter said...

I recently learned that my newly married older son and his wife were indeed going to start working on a baby. I am already prepared with a boy quilt leftover from being prepared for granddaughter Olivia - gave her the pink one. The boy quilt has fabric with teddy bears in cowboy hats - brown and turquoise - a turning 20. Now I need to make a girl quilt to be prepared once again. I started setting aside pink, beige, tan, brown, raspberry hexies and thinking about the quilt in this post. I have some pink, brown, tan, and beige fabrics to choose from and will be coming up with a plan for the squares and background. Is there a pattern available for this quilt? Is it your own design? This quilt will be my inspiration for my next baby quilt for a little girl. N